St Paul's, Causewayhead

St Paul's Church was built in 1845 to cater for the increasing population of the area. It was the parish church for Silloth until Christ Church was completed in 1870.

Services at St Paul's have been suspended (from 15th May 2016)

Please see the details of other churches in the Team for Service Times.

 

St Paul's was erected in 1884-5 as a chapel of ease for Holme Cultram Abbey.  The church cost £850 to build.  The money was raised by the local parishioners (mainly the farmers) with financial assistance from the Church Building Society.  The church was designed with seating accommodation for 357 worshippers.  An inscription above the door within the porch tells us that all the seatings are "free and unappropriated for ever".

Mannix & Whelan's Directory of Cumberland of 1847 describes the building as "a neat Gothic edifice" and tells us that the first "officiating minister" was the Reverend Isaac Bowman, of whom no further details are recorded.  It is assumed that before the building of St. Paul's the people of Causewayhead were provided with some form of services (within domestic dwellings) and pastoral care by itinerant priests from the Abbey.  The living of St. Paul's was originally in the gift of the vicar of Holm Cultram and was worth £220 a year.

St. Paul's is built of red sandstone as in the Early English style.  It has a south porch and a west facing turret containing one bell, which is used to summon people to worship.

Inside, the church is beautifully simple, consisting of a chancel, nave and a small vestry.

In the period 1889-90 the church was renovated throughout and at this time a two manual organ was installed at a cost of £700 (an iteresting comparison with the original cost of the church).  The organ pipes are decorated in a similar fashion to those at Christ Church, Silloth.

The floor of the chancel is tiled, but the nave has a plain sandstone floor.  The pews are raised up on wooden blocks.  On either side, the east window is flanked by depictions of the Ten Commandments.

Bulmer's History and Directory of West Cumberland (1883) makes reference to the "many beautiful stained-glass windows, rich in scriptural symbolism".  The splendid east window is in triple form and portrays at its centre St. Paul, in medallions, the symbols of the four evangelists.  The window is by John Scott of Carlisle and dates from 1852.  It commemorates John Messenger of East Cote, "a zealous promoter of the building of the church".  

In the sanctuary, the north and south windows are lozenge quarries with various motifs (the artist is not identified).  In the nave, southeasternmost: Christ the Sower (unsigned, but thought to be the work of John scott); the window is in memory of Ann and George ABailiffe-Bowman.  The second window in teh nave, south, is im memory of Dr Hugh Hutton (1911-1996) a much respected physician in Silloth and district for many years and a staunch supporter of St. Paul's. The window was comissioned by his widow and is the work of the artist Peter Strong.  

The third window int eh nave, south, depicts - in a medallion - Christ giving sight to a blind man.  It is the work of John Scott and it was created in memory of Betty Messenger, who died in June 1864.  Completing the array of windows in the nave, south, comes the fourth which has two lights.  These depict St. Mark and Christ the Light of the World.  The artist is GJ Baguely.  The window was given by Canon Robert Walker and his wife Margaret Elizabeth in 1903.

In the west wall, the first window portrays St. Andrew and it is the work of Powell Bros. of Leeds, Installed in 1889 the window commemorates Henry Thomas Tandy who died in July 1894.  The second depicts - in a medallion - Christ as a boy in the carpenter's shop.  The window is in memory of John Albert Redford with the date June 1863 and is by John Scott.

Continuing on the north wall of the nave, the first window features - in a medallion - Christ and the daughter of Jairus, the daugher who "was not dead, but sleepeth" whose "spirit came again".  The window is in memory of John Holliday, who died in January 1864, the work of John Scott.  The second window from the west, also by John Scott shows - in a medallion - Christ bnlessing the children.  The window is a memorial to J Hayton and is dated 1853. The third window portrays the Figure of Hope.  It is in memory of John Henry Wise and is the work of GJ Bagueley.

The communion table in the sactuary was provided by Molly and Jake Tomlinson, upon their retirement from farming in 1970.  The oak lectern was presented by a Mr CE Boyd in memory of the Reverend Francis Redford the first curate of St. Paul's in  around 1850 and subsequently rector.

In 1892 a large peice of land for burial purposes was donated by the Earl of Lonsdale.  Cosecrated in 1893 this land forms the cemetry opposite St. Paul's churchyard and is under the authority of Allerdale Borough Council.  The churchyard is now "closed" and is also in the care of Allerdale Council.

In 1949 the parish of St. Paul's was united with Christ Church, Silloth.

(The above information is from a short history of St. Paul's church compiled by John Gray, copies of which are available from the church)

 

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031