Newton Arlosh

St John the Evangelist, Newton Arlosh

Parish Church. Licence to crenellate 11 April 1304, extended and repaired 1844 by Sarah Losh, vestry and restoration 1894. Large blocks of squared red sandstone mixed with cobbles. Extensions of red sandstone all under sandstone slate roofs, except for lead on tower. Square fortified west tower with extremely thick walls. Contemporary 2-bay fortified nave; 1844 north chancel at right-angles with apside vestry on east wall. Tower has original and restored arrow-slit windows. 2-light Tudor north window has C19 restoration. Upper part of tower is of different stonework and has been restored with battlemented parapet and turret. Nave has narrow hollow-chamfered pointed doorway and arrow- slit windows. 2-bay chancel has round-arched west doorway and lancet windows. Vestry has round-headed windows. Interior of tower has vaulted basement and spiral stone stair giving access to upper floor priest's chamber with fireplace and to second floor chamber. Nave: C13 octagonal font bowl with crocketed gables on fragmentary stem. Carved ram's head corbels by Sarah Losh in east wall flank former altar position. Carved wood lectern, in form of palm tree, by Sarah Losh. North wall has been almost entirely removed to give access to chancel. Chancel and nave extensively renovated and furnished in 1894. Although in ruins from the Dissolution to 1844, this is still one of the most complete fortified churches in the area.

From English Heritage

1st Sunday:10.45am Holy Communion
2nd Sunday:10.45am Service of the Word
3rd Sunday:10.45am Holy Communion
4th Sunday:No Service
5th Sunday:United Service
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
242526272829