St Mungo's, Bromfield

One of eight churches in the the northern part of the Diocese of Carlisle which are dedicated to St Mungo (St Kentigern). A wooden church may have been here during the 3rd century, replaced by a stone building before the Romans withdrew from the area in 449 AD, and rebuilt in the time of St Mungo c670 AD.The oldest relic is an ancient British Cross, said to date from 400 AD, and a Saxon hogback stone over the porch.

Other interesting carved stonework are in the west end of the church. The church was largely reordered in 1703 and in 1860. The St George's Chapel was built in 1395 and used as a Chantry Chapel until 1546. Behind the church in the field is St Mungo's well with an inscription "With joy you will draw water from the wells of salvation". 

1st Sunday:9.30am - Family Service
2nd Sunday:9.30am - Holy Communion
3rd Sunday:9.30am - Morning Prayer
4th Sunday:9.30am - Holy Communion
5th Sunday:Team Service at one of the Churches in the Team

The present site of St. Mungo’s has witnessed worship for eighteen hundred years.  It has served as a place of worship from the second century.  We are indeed walking on hallowed ground, steeped in history.

The well on the North side (50 yards) was probably the original meeting place for worshippers.  The water from this ancient well was used by the village into the 1950’s.  The cover for the well was restored in 1878.

The site of the war memorial near the entrance was the village ‘Pound’. General business in the area would have been conducted from this site.

Entering the church we pass under a beautiful Norman arch decorated with the dog tooth pattern.

The substantial Norman font at the rear of the church is testimony to the lasting faith of our forefathers.  A multitude of children will have entered God’s House over the centuries and have been baptized.

Also at the rear of the church are some medieval gravestones.  One belonged to a knight, the other to an important woman of her day.  These ancient burial plaques are a source of much interest and attention in the academic world.

The stunning feature of the church is the chancel arch with is transitional between the Norman and Gothic style.  On either corbel there is a carved head of a monk and on the other a Roman soldier’s head perhaps symbolizing the union between Rome and Celtic Christianity and their reconciliation.

St. George’s Chapel on the right of the chancel exudes old world charm.  It was once a chantry chapel built in 1395 and partly restored in 1862 and 1884.

The nave of the church was rebuilt in 1703.  The Norman arches and columns silently reflect the faith of ages and the endeavour of former generations.

In 1860 the North aisle was rebuilt and enlarged by the Ballentyne Wykes family. The also rebuilt the Lady Chapel and provided a memorial to their ancestor Adam of Crookdale now named Crookdake Chapel.

Churchwarden

Mrs Hilary Brockbank 016973 20239

Key Holder

(Visitors to the church are most welcome, please phone in advance if possible)

Mr Harry Douglas 016973 61670

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031